After more than four decades of involvement, in nearly every aspect of leadership, I have become convinced, nothing meaningful occurs, until/ unless, a specific leader, truly learns, and develops the essential skill, of quality, relevant, effective planning! However, while this may seem obvious, it is often challenging to find an individual, willing to spend the time, maintain the commitment, and persistence, to consider options and alternatives, as well as needs, goals and priorities, and develop PLANS, which will have the best opportunity, to make a difference, for the better. With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly consider, evaluate, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, some of what goes into, doing so, effectively, and relevantly.
1. Priorities; perceptions; process: Perhaps the most essential component of beginning this process, in a meaningful way, is taking the time, and making the effort, to discover the necessities and priorities, and pursue them, in the best interests of the organization, and constituents, rather than because of any personal agenda, and/ or, self – interest! It is important to be certain, your perceptions, align with those of the people, you serve and represent, and, you address these, in a proactive way.
2. Listen; learn; leadership: If you wish to demonstrate quality, meaningful leadership, it’s important to have the willingness and discipline, to listen, far more than you speak, and learn, from every conversation, and experience! Only then, will others care about your plans, in a sufficient manner, to get more involved, and become committed, to a far greater degree!
3. Attention; aptitude; attitude; articulate: Many are challenged to pay sufficient attention, to options, alternatives, needs, priorities, and perceptions, before creating, developing, and implementing one’s plans! The combination of a relevant, well – developed, aptitude, and skill – set, combined with a true, positive, can – do, attitude, often, makes a world of difference. One only gets others to buy – into his plans, when he effectively articulates his reasons, in a compelling, inspiring, motivating manner!
4. Needs: Until/ unless, planning is based on, the needs, goals, and priorities, of those you represent (and, hopefully, serve)! Why should anyone care about your approach, if you don’t address, what they consider, priorities?
5. System; service; sustainable solutions: A leader’s highest priority must be to be, of – service, to his constituents, and make his group, stronger and better! This means, effectively, planning, perceiving and conceiving of, creating, developing, and implementing, a system, with a strategic and action plan, focused on the finest, sustainable solutions!
It’s not enough to claim, you have a plan, but rather, quality leaders perceive and conceive of, create, develop, and implement, PLANS, which focus on relevant, sustainable change, for the better! Will you be up to this task?