Before anyone should determine if he should pursue a position of leadership, he should introspectively, objectively, examine, if he has, what it takes, to be a meaningfulful, effective leader! While professionally designed, leadership training programs, might help an organization, determine those candidates, who, possibly, have the best potential, and then instill, the skills, assets, and articulate the need, for someone to possess a consistent, genuine, positive attitude, each person, should carefully examine, and consider his personal reasons for wanting to do so, and clearly recognize and understand, what LEADING means to them! With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly review, examine and consider, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, and why it's so relevant and significant.
1. Listen; learn; leadership: Are you willing to avoid the trap, of becoming, in love with your own words, and voice? Will you consistently listen, far more than you speak, and commit to effectively learn, from every experience and conversation, so, your leadership, becomes inclusive, and addresses the needs, concerns, perceptions, priorities, and goals of constituents?
2. Empathy; emphasis; energize: Pseudo – leaders, often, pretend they care, and proceed, articulating empty rhetoric, and making promises, they will not fail! Great leaders consistently prioritize, proceeding, with the utmost degree of genuine empathy, and place their emphasis, on energizing others, to care more, and become more involved and committed!
3. Articulate; attention; attitude; aptitude: When you better understand yourself, and your personal motives, you become far more capable of proceeding with the necessary, genuine, consistent, positive attitude! The ability to pay close attention, and realize what's needed, and necessary, permits you, to develop a refined aptitude, which will help make well – considered, timely decisions! Only those, willing, and ready, to articulate, a positive, inspiring message, which addresses perceptions and priorities, become true leaders.
4. Options; opportunities; organized: Will you be willing to accept, there are multiple options and alternatives, and a quality leader, must be willing to examine these, with an open – mind? When one proceeds, in an organized way, he is prepared to recognize opportunities, which present themselves, and / or to create and develop his own opportunity!
5. Ideas; integrity; Imagination: One intangible, which is often hard to identify, in advance, is possessing the level and quality imagination, which might assist in developing the finest strategies! When absolute integrity, is combined with well – refined, meaningful, relevant ideas, the potential of any leader, is enhanced, significantly!
6. Needs: Leading must focus and emphasis the needs, of those one serves and presents, and placing their best interests, above your own, personal agenda, and / or, self – interest!
7. Generate goodwill; growth: When / if, you're able to, both, generate goodwill, while driving for sustainable growth, you become, a most relevant leader!
Before you commit, identify what LEADING , means to you! Will you make that commitment?
Source by Richard Brody