After, over four decades, of identifying, qualifying, training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or potential leaders, I have always considered, the essential basics of leading, to be based on common SENSE. Unfortunately, however, the reality is, this expression, is probably, somewhat of, an oxymoron, because, it is far too rare, when a leader, proceeds, in such a manner. Common sense is anything but common, although it should be. It is truly rare, when it comes, to leaders! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why it matters.
1. Sustainable; service; system: With focus, and a keen – eye, on the future, great leaders provide relevant, as well as sustainable leadership! Common sense, leadership, requires an emphasis on quality service. To do so, they must be ready, willing, and able, to perceive and conceive of, create, develop, and implement, a meaningful, strategic and action plan, which will bring about, a valuable system, for the common good!
2. Empathy; emphasis: Since nobody, has all the answers, a smart leader, must effectively listen, and learn, from every conversation, and experience, understand others’ goals, priorities, and perceptions, and proceed, with an emphasis on addressing these, in a quality manner!
3. Needs; nuances; niche: It’s never leading, merely if one looks, acts, or is busy, unless/ until, the focus and emphasis, is on needs, goals, and priorities! A leader must recognize his group’s specific niche, realistically, and use the nuances, which make a true difference, for the better!
4. Strengths; stronger: Great leadership means recognizing the organization’s strengths, as well as areas of weakness, and uses the strong – points, while addressing areas of weakness! Measure a leader, by whether, his actions, consistently, make the group, stronger, more relevant and sustainable!
5. Excellence; endurance; energy/ energize: Instead of accepting, good – enough, and/ or, the same – old, same – old, real leaders demand their utmost degree of genuine excellence! Because, there are always, obstacles, and challenges to achieving objectives, etc, it takes a high degree of endurance, to go – on, when lesser individuals, quit, and give – up! One’s personal energy, will, not only, drive him, to be, the best, he can be, but, will also serve, to energize his constituents, and stakeholders! This is a core principle, of leading, by example!
Isn’t it about time, our leaders proceeded, with a much greater degree of real, common SENSE? Are you up the task, and ready, to lead?
Source by Richard Brody