I’ve for the past couple of years have been at a fairly large publishing/media (magazine). (and it’s been a bit of a nightmare because there is no else at the company who seems to have any more knowledge than even myself, and that isn’t saying a whole lot )
We have a lot of data, and there are seemingly countless variables affecting our goals( mainly traffic is dependent on what is trending for that week/month etc, as we post about all sorts of content categories) . What I would like to know is what data should we be focusing on to reach our goals? and What actual actions can we take to affect those?
1. Our main goal has been increasing page views and unique visitors for our website, and reaching new readers.
2. our secondary goal is adding more value via E-commerce or affiliate sales
One challenge that is been consistent for me is to justify campaigns, and ROI for publishing, as there are usually no direct profit (product to sell) as our main form of revenue comes from ads or client projects. We already have pretty strong SEO ranking for most relevant keywords in our industry .
That being said, we do currently do the following
– Regular publish blog/news content
– Post on our SNS (Facebook(which it’s engagement has been dwindling, Twitter and IG), with occasional paid/sponsored content (perhaps we post too much)
– Use our mailing list to regularly notify our subscribers of new content
– occasionally run banner ads on our own site for content or campaigns we want to promote
on a daily basis we update our reports with
– page views
– unique visitors
– the top ranking content
and monthly reports with
– SNS follower gains
-Source traffic/device traffic/
I would love to hear an outside opinion because I’m currently working in a vacuum
View Reddit by casperkasper – View Source